Summer Residence Hall Desk Clerk
2017 Position Description
Summer Residence Hall Desk Clerks are integral components of the University's summer residence hall program as administered by the Office of Housing. Desk Clerks assume responsibilities which underscore the important role of residential life in the educational experience of students at the University of Notre Dame.
A Desk Clerk has extensive contact with University students and guests and serves as a liaison and resource person. Desk Clerks are regarded as University representatives. Therefore, they should always conduct themselves in an honest, conscientious and professional manner. They are expected to support, enforce, and personally abide by all University and Office Housing policies as outlined in du Lac, and to interpret them as necessary. Summer Residence Hall Staff members are expected to support and promote the Catholic mission of the University.
- Rising-Sophomore student status required.
- Previous residence hall staff experience and/or student leadership training preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are available for the entire summer (May 22 – August 1) work assignment. This includes the entire Summer Session and interim periods. Appointment is for the length of service as outlined in the agreement and may be adjusted through mutual consent.
- Responsible for daily, on-site check-in/check-out procedures for residents.
- Assist with other administrative duties as assigned by the Hall Manager, including but not limited to: lockouts, mail distribution, Room Condition Reports, key inventories, etc.
- Compose reports and submit to Hall Manager on a regular basis.
- Assist with accommodating the needs of residents, including referrals to appropriate University services.
- Serve as information resource about campus services/activities.
- Monitor facility to maintain an environment conducive to study and/or community group living.
- Work closely with Hall Manager and refer policy violations issues as needed.
Staff Development Responsibilities
- Participate in orientation and training for summer staff.
- Attend regularly scheduled hall staff meetings.
Building Services Responsibilities
- Take part in hall staff cleaning crews in transitioning rooms when Building Services staff is unavailable.
- Assist with the transition of rooms when lack of staffing requires.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
All Desk Clerks must schedule and complete an exit appointment with the Hall Director/Manager to turn in keys, name tags, binders, and any other administrative materials.
The Desk Clerk position is intended to be a part-time position with flexible scheduling. In addition, there will be the option of working for Building Services as hours are available. Any additional employment by Desk Clerks during their term of appointment must by approved in advance by the Office of Housing and must not interfere with regularly scheduled hall hours. Student employees are only permitted to be employed a maximum of 40 hours per week at any combination of University jobs.
Summer Residence Hall Desk Clerks are paid $7.92 per hour and are provided a standard room in a residence hall.